We are seeking artists to work with young people to create new digital experiences for Theatre31.
Collaborate with us!
Theatre31 is an exciting new programme that puts young people in the driving seat. Taking place across Medway and Sheppey, this programme supports young people call the shots on everything that happens – from deciding which artists to work with to designing the logo.
Fully funded by Arts Council England, Kent County Council, Medway Council and ROH Bridge, all our opportunities are free of charge!
We are a youth dedicated arts project with no walls, which means we are flexible and super adaptable. Our activities are accessible, and we are constantly reimaging and re-writing the rules so all engagement can happen in a Covid secure way, but most importantly still fun and impactful.
Our aim is simple, we are here to get young people aged 8-18 in Medway and Sheppey involved in theatre, which ever shape or form that may take, and we want to work with innovative artists to help us do just that.
As part of our programme for spring 2021, we will launch our digital stage. As part of this launch, we want to commission a piece of work that can be engaged and enjoyed by our audiences and that has been created with Theatre31’s mission and ethos at the heart.
We envisage this commission being given to an artist/creative organisation/youth worker who wants to work with young people to develop and co-create a piece of digital work.
The output will be published on our Digital Stage and YouTube channel and shared with the public.
We want to work with innovative creatives who:
- Are passionate about engaging young people;
- Have an appetite for exploring digital practices;
- Want to break the barriers of current online experiences;
- Will embrace championing work that is youth led.
As part of our programme and dedication to young people and artists, we have a commissioning opportunity of £7500.
- You may be an artist or creative organisation based in Sheppey or Medway, already working with young people, who want to create a new project.
- You may a youth worker or youth organisation based in Sheppey or Medway, who wants to bring a creative opportunity to your young people. If this is the case, we might be able to assist in partnering you with an artist – we recommend you contact us first before applying.
- You may be an artist or creative organisation, with previous experience of working with young people, but without current links to existing youth groups in Sheppey or Medway. If this is the case, we might be able to assist you, but we recommend you contact us first before applying.
- You may already have a project in development and plan to use this commission for match funding to get it off the ground.
The project must:
- Engage young people in Sheppey or Medway to co-create new digital work
- Empower your team and the young people you work with
- Be led, or led in partnership with, an artist who has a track record of making quality work with young people
We are looking to support:
- Work that is original
- People who are playing with form
- New and emerging voices
- Stories and narratives – even better if they are Medway or Sheppey based!
Deadline: midnight on Sunday 24 January 2021.
Interviews: held during wk./c 8 February 2021.
Send us two pages maximum – or video no longer than 5 minutes – or voice recording no longer than five minutes:
- Tell us about you and the company you work for (if applicable)
- Tell us about the project you want to develop and create
- Tell us about how you want to engage and empower young people
- Tell us how the commissioning money will be used (simple budget breakdown)*
- Tell us what audiences the outcome will engage
- Tell us your connection to Medway or Sheppey (is it you or the young people you work with)
- Please include any links to previous projects or work
*the budget breakdown should display allocation for artist fees and costs for creation. We ask that your budget also includes the cost of a 30 second ‘teaser’ trailer and a selection of high quality still photographs for marketing assets.
- Contact email
- Contact mobile number
- Website (if applicable)
- Completed Data Monitoring Form:
Please send to:
Jemma Robinson, Head of Programme
Subject: DIGITAL COMMISSION