Theatre31 is the place to come if you want to get involved in theatre; want to take part in a drama group; learn some new creative skills, hang out with friends or even meet new people!
You might have done some drama before, or you might be a complete novice and that doesn’t matter…no experience is required! Are you aged 8 – 18 and fancy giving it a go? We would love to hear from you so come and meet us!
The important bits – and what you need to know:
- Our entire programme of activities is youth led – this means we are working with a team of young collaborators as part of our youth panel to help us make decisions. This is on anything from the design of our logo and website to the commissions and artists we work with. This means we take on board everything our young collaborators advise and find ways to make what they instinctively want Theatre31 to be.
- All our events are free! Yes – that’s right, free!
- Theatre31 is not a building, a theatre or classroom – it is an arts centre for young people with no walls. This means we are super flexible and can deliver our activity in all the corners of Medway and Sheppey. We like it like it like this! It means we can be creative and have the ability to take artistic risks. It also means we can run activities in areas that sometimes are hard to get to.
- Theatre31 has been specially created for the young people of Medway and Sheppey in the county of Kent. Our team want to celebrate the local area! We aspire to give everyone a chance and constantly reflect on how we are doing so we can make sure we are creating opportunities in the right places.
- We want to create, nurture and challenge the theatre makers of the future – regardless of what role they have to play. You might want to be an actor, a hip hop dancer, a projection designer, a producer, or a lighting technician. The theatre is made up of lots of different people and roles and Theatre31 will ensure you have first-hand experience of what excites you.
The important bits for adults – and what they might want to know:
- The programme is led by children and young people and focuses on reaching and engaging those participants who are less likely to take part in other cultural activities.
- The programme aims to support children and young people develop confidence, aspirations, motivation, wellbeing and performing arts related knowledge and skills.
- Theatre31 also aims to raise awareness about the amazing range of cultural opportunities available for children and young people in the region, developing sustainable channels of communications and connectivity for children, young people, schools, individual artists and creative organisations across Medway and Sheppey